Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Americorps Experience at Raising Expectations

Making the decision to come to Raising Expectations (RE), by way of AmeriCorps, was a hard life-changing decision. Before beginning my service at RE I was attending graduate school at Mercer University majoring in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. But after several months at Raising Expectations, I can say that my decision was well worth it.

My experience at RE thus far has been one of the most wonderful, yet heart wrenching ever. The team of women that I work with are absolutely awesome! There are challenges, but we always overcome them. I love my team. We work hard and have fun at the same time. My students have definitely grown on me. At first it was challenging, but now that we have gotten to know each other, it is going great. I find myself thinking about them and doing things for them on my off time. 

This past Friday, I had to pick up some of my students parents for a parent-teacher conference. It was a humbling yet a touching experience that brought me to tears. To see where the kids are growing up,  makes me appreciate my life even more.  It also strengthens my desire to help them raise their expectations of themselves, and become a product of their dreams and not their environment. 

By: Tay Williamson

No comments:

Post a Comment