Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Life on the Other Side of Raising Expectations

People always say, "There are two sides to every story". Well with the Raising Expectations story, there are two sides to the journey. As a former student and mentee, I only saw the student's perspective. This perspective consisted of field trips, getting homework done (most expeditiously), "Take A Student to College Day", Poetry, Community Service, but most of all, always staying involved in activities that allowed students to raise the bar.


Now that I work with Raising Expectations, I get to see a glimpse of the business side of the journey. The side that works from 8am until; and when I say until, I mean until everything is completed and every child is home safely. One time, that "until" ran up to 10:00pm. The side that focuses on the students’ success by creating engaging lesson plans and school visits to check on our students’ grades and conduct. The side that partners with parents, teachers and community agencies to enrich the students’ lives and the community as a whole.

I work in an office with a group of women that exude so much leadership, wisdom, poise, and determination that in the four months I have been with Raising Expectations I have grown as a person. Learning and seeing this other side of the journey, has definitely opened my eyes to see how much work, energy, time, and stress goes on behind the scenes. Raising Expectations' journey has changed lives and affected so many people along the way. I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to share this journey with Raising Expectations this year, allowing me to see the ins and outs of the organization from the other side.


                                                        By: Shekinah Lewis

Learn more about our work by engaging and sharing with us on our website through facebook and other social media tools.            www.raisingexpectations.org

No comments:

Post a Comment